Usually it is sufficient to clean and grease the cone surfaces and the locking flaps which can be accessed from the outside without dissembling the unit.
Completely disassembling the unit is only required if the grease on the inner mechanism has completely washed out or there is some severe amount of dirt and debris inside, hindering proper operation.
Note that this requires some mechanical skills and should be approached with caution! If you feel unsure about the procedure it is better to return your QRT to Ambient for service.
Anyway, here we go. The QuickLok (QRT) can be disassembled by following these instructions:
- Unscrew the M4 grub screw on the bottom with a 2mm Allen key.
- Take about a 3 mm gauge piece of wire, put it on the gap between pink aluminum body (bent so goes to both sides) and press together with a wrench so the plastic cap pops off.
- Now you have access to the M3 grub screw inside that prevents the inner part from twisting to far. Remove it using a 1.5mm Allen key.
- Remove the hook of the spring from the groove. Use a small hook, pull the spring away from the groove and then towards the end of the QRT so it can move freely around the pink chassis together with the black inner part when turning.
- The inner black part can now be screwed off from the pink chassis (counter clockwise), while holding down the spring with the hook.
For re-assembly simply reverse the above steps.
All parts have to be well cleaned and greased before assembling. Do not forget to get grease on the inner side of the top , where the flat top of the tips connects, or they can seize.
We use the same PAO-Lithium (Polyalfaolefin) grease for our QuickLoks as for our booms.